Saturday, September 13, 2008

One Hour to Landfall

725,000 customers without power now according to Floyd LeBlanc of CenterPoint Energy on local channel 11. He said that 750,000 was the power outage total for Hurricane Rita. They are expecting over 1 million in this storm.

The power surges and outages have stopped here at my hotel.

The rain has started coming down. Still it's not as strong as anticipated. The eye is about only an hour from Galveston. The rain is coming down in sheets and blowing diagonally.

The streets are empty now. I see an occasional car go by but now it's mostly emergency vehicles. The cop that was in the Zone D'erotica parking lot left. He was out there for at least six hours. Either that or they put a car there just for looks.

From my room it's pretty hard to judge how hard the wind really is blowing. I was expecting blinding rain and a heavy down pour. Instead it's a steady rain and lots of wind but not bad. I've been in thunderstorms that were a lot worse. I thought about going downstairs and looking outside see if I can get a better feel for the storm but I've decided to stay put.

A Galveston official was on TV saying that calls are calling in for rescue. The answer is no. They were told to leave because the entire island was going to be under water. There is no way they can get to them. People just are to freaking stupid and stubborn. They are the first to cry to when the you know what hits the fan.

I'm probably going to stay up for a few more hours and see how things progress. I don't think it's going to get any worse than lots of wind and rain. Of course, there is still the danger of tornadoes.

I'll probably post one more before I go to sleep.

No comments: