Saturday, September 13, 2008

Power Outages Through Out Metro Area

Over one million customers now without electric service and the worst part of the storm hasn't hit Houston yet. The news showed footage of transformers blowing out. It looked like a street level fireworks show. It also explains the odd colored lightning I saw earlier. Turns out that the odd colors were the transformer blowouts.

The rain is really coming down now and the winds are picking up. It's a little harder to judge how hard the wind is blowing since the street lights are and I can't see which directions the rain is blowing.

Local emergency services are still functioning. Unfortunately there is an ambulance in front of the hotel on the other side of the Loop. I also saw two cop cars with lights going west on Westhiemer.

The massive freeway light outside my window has just come back on. The rain is definitely coming down harder now. The light pole is swaying around in the wind.

A massive gust of wind just made my hotel windows make a loud rattle. There it goes again. This time I felt it as it hit the building. My area is getting tropical storm winds with the hurricane force winds coming within the next two hours or so.

The heaviest part of the rain just might miss where I'm at. It's hard to tell by the weather map. According to the latest projection of the spiral, the Galleria area might just get the tail end of the heaviest part of the latest storm spiral. Still a lot of rain though.

Downtown sensors are reporting over 69 mph gusts, Hobby Airport is reporting 83 mph gusts and Intercontinental is reporting over 60 mph gusts. Sensors in Galveston aren't reporting anymore. The Galveston tides are all over ten feet.

I just took my meds so I may be done for the night.

No comments: