Thursday, May 1, 2008

Judas Priest, Sick Twisted Austrian Man

The much talked about rumored Judas Priest album is finally coming out. They announced the released date of June 16 in Europe and June 17 for the US. It's a concept album on Nostradamus. It's a double CD since they said they couldn't fit all they wanted onto one disc.

I'm a big Judas Priest fan but somehow I get a sinking feeling about this project. First off Judas Priest has never done a concept album. When a band departs from their sound or tries something different it's usually a recipe for disaster. Second, just how much material can you write about Nostradamus? He is fascinating and the debate rages if his writings really predicted the future or if we are just looking at events and fitting them to vague predictions. Finally, as much as a fan of the group, let's be honest. Their latest releases haven't been up to snuff. I never let "Angel of Retribution" grow on me. The Ripper Owen stuff is okay but not classic Priest. I'll probably break my CD buying moratorium and purchase the CDs. It's been years since I bought a CD but since I'm a fan I will plunk down the cash.

How sick is Josef Fritzl? I can't get my mind around how twisted Fritzl is. He imprisoned his own daughter for 24 years in a windowless cell. He raped her and fathered seven children of hers. Three of the children lived upstairs with their father/grandfather and grandmother. Three of the poor souls lived with the mother and had never seen the light of day. God only knows how messed up those children are. One of the seven died in infancy and Fritzl admitted to burning the body. The children were 19, 18 and 5. Fritzl claimed that his daughter left the other three children with him and ran away. He forced her to write letters that said she ran away and didn't want to be found.

The depth and consequences of this horrible story just boggle my mind. Here is a man, for lack of a better word, that imprisoned his own daughter. He then raped her repeatedly and fathered children with her. The CNN article I linked to described her, Elisabeth, as disturbed. Disturbed is probably the understatement of the decade. Destroyed emotionally, physically and mentally is a more appropriate description. I use the word destroyed because I can't comprehend how it is possible that she will ever recover from this ordeal. There is no way her psyche can be repaired. No amount of counseling and therapy will restore this poor woman to what she was before this demon locked her away. I only imagine she will have nightmares for the rest of her life. She will relive all those horrible days she was locked up forever. Nothing will probably relive her of that experience.

Imagine the children that were locked up with her. They had no interaction with any other humans other than each other. Locked up in a dungeon without knowing what it is to play with other children. They never even saw the light of day. I only can guess about what state they are in. They have to be so stunted emotionally. The 18 and 19 year old probably have severe mental disorders. There may be some hope for the 5 year old. Maybe since he's still young that he can he can rebound from this. I don't think he'll be completely normal but with counseling and therapy he can grow up to function in society. The older ones probably have the mental and emotional make up of young children. I haven't read anything about their state yet. It will be interesting to find out what they are like.

I can't even think of a fitting punishment for Fritzl. Nothing that can be done to him could compare to the pain and suffering he inflicted on his own daughter and children.

No comments: