Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Quick Takes on California Prop 8, Ground Zero Mosque

Prop 8 and Same Sex Marriages
In general I'm against same sex marriage. It really serves no purpose. Why a same sex couple should be given same the same rights as a heterosexual couple doesn't register. Since time immemorial marriage consists of the union of a man and a woman. Why change now?

I'm not passing judgment on homosexuals or any kind of sexual being. The only sexual being I abhor is a sexual predator whether the predator is a rapist or pedophile. What consenting adults do in the privacy is their business.

In fact I think homosexuals should enjoy all freedoms conferred on all citizens. They should be allowed to live, work and associate where ever and with whoever they want. They should be afforded equal protection in all aspects of life.

So why do I draw the line at marriage? It's hard to explain but I believe very few things are intrinsic to human nature or survival. The partnership between man and woman is one of those few built in survival instincts man has. Biologically, historically and socially homosexuality serves no purpose. I'm not against same sex pairings. That's an individual choice but I see no reason why it should be given equal status as the marriage of a man and a woman.

Ground Zero Mosque
Since I'm weighing in on controversial subjects I might as well chime in on the Ground Zero Mosque.

As a Libertarian I have one position on the matter. The proposed mosque is on private property and they can do whatever they want with it.

Still I have to question the reason why Muslims chose such a controversial site for a mosque. The powers that made the decision had to know that the project would raise the ire of the American public. The majority of American Muslims stand with America in the war against radical Islamists. Muslims in America are left alone for the most part. So why provoke the public with choosing a site so close to an American tragedy? Aside from a few nut jobs, Americans accept Muslims in our community. Why endanger that support or tolerance? Whatever the reasoning behind the choice, there is no wisdom in it.

No comments: