Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Day of Relaxing and Fishing

Normally I don't publish personal topics in my blog.  While I won't detail my personal life, I figure what's the point of having a personal website if I can't use it to keep track of things I do.

So starting in 2013, I plan on tracking more of my personal activities in addition to pledging to again pick up writing with vigor.

To begin 2013, I went on my first fishing adventure of the new year.

Texas Parks and Wildlife Department maintains a winter rainbow trout stocking program in rivers, lakes and community ponds.  The program is wildly successful.  Over the years, the number of waters stocked has grown.

Every year I plan on going but I never make it out to one of the sites.  Mary Jo Peckham Park is one of the local Harris County stocking sites.  TWPD stocks the small lake every two weeks. 

Saturday I ventured out to Peckham.  The results?  Nothing but high winds.  I couldn't use my super light rod.  So I just put a worm on the end of my hook and hoped for something.  I walked the perimeter of the pond hoping that I would catch something.

After a couple of hours of silence, a man told me to go try near the circulation pumps.  The trout like the constant change of cold water.  He told me the man in purple jacket caught a nice sized trout and others were pulling up trout.  So I pulled up my lines and went.

Not much action going on.  I saw three trout pulled out of the water.  One by a teenage couple near me.  The other by the man in purple jacket.  The third by a goose swimming along the shore line.  A group of kids thought the goose catching a trout was both funny and aggravating.

It was about 3:00 p.m. when I decided to call it a day.  On a whim I decided to check out Tom Bass Park.  In the first section there is a pond.  The pond is really not much more than a puddle.  I decided to try it anyway.  I was stunned.  I pulled up three catfish.  The smallest was 16 inches.  It ended up being a nice little haul.

While there I talked to a man who was fishing with his kids.  He gave me directions to the bigger community lake on the other side of the golf course.  I tried finding the lake twice but my map obviously wasn't very good.  I was stunned that it was a decent size pond.  It may be next weekends destination.

 Tom Bass Park Community Pond
(click on pictures for bigger view)

My Catch of The Day

No comments: