Friday, July 22, 2011

Gov. Perry's Day of Prayer

The ACLU and some other atheist group are trying to stop Governor Rick Perry from speaking at a call to prayer planned at Reliant Stadium.

I'm no fan of Perry and am more offended (sarcasm alert) that the religious group will defile my place of worship by holding their Day of Prayer at Reliant Stadium. Reliant is my sanctuary as well as Cathedral of the Texans. I don't want other religions using my temple.

On a more serious note, I don't see where the ACLU and atheists have any standing in this case. Perry attending, or even speaking, is not a violation of church and state. Just because Perry hold office it doesn't preclude him from taking part in a public religious ceremony. Even if he endorses religion in front of thousands, it will be as an individual and not as the government.

Even if people want to argue that the a public financed facility used for a religious ceremony violates church and state separation, I don't see that valid either. How many public venues have hosted a Billy Graham crusade?

While I'm a strong advocate of separation of church and state, I don't see this as a violation of that doctrine. Perry's opponents would do better attacking his real weaknesses instead of going after something as Mickey Mouse as this.

Instead I'd love to hear what Governor Good Hair has to say and then use it against him if I can.

No comments: