Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Nothing To Fear - Part 3

One of the battle cries on the Great Immigration Debate is "if you're here legally then you have nothing to worry about."

Nothing can be further from the truth.

I can trace my family back to North Carolina in the 1790s. I can trace my family to pre-Civil War Texas. My forefathers were founders of Karnes County, TX. I have documented proof through birth certificates, marriage and U.S. Census records. There is no doubt about my ancestors. I am 100% USA citizen through "jus sanguinis" and "jus soli."

Thus I have established my citizenship through every means possible but naturalization and obviously I don't need naturalization.

So what do I have to worry about? For starters, through marriage, blood and God knows what else, I have Spanish surname and I'm dark skinned.

Anti-immigrants, under the guise of immigration reform, want give law enforcement officers the ability to check the immigration status of people if they have sufficient reason to suspect a person may be in the country illegally.

So who makes the call on when to make an immigration check? What is the criteria for delving deeper into a routine traffic stop turn into an immigration check?

Through my rights as a citizenship, I have certain obligations. I vote. I serve on juries. I registered for the draft. I pay taxes. In return for those obligations I ask only for a few rights; basically those rights I'm afforded under the Constitution of these United States.

So to answer the question, if I'm here legally what do I have to fear? For starters, if peace officers are empowered to check my legal status, do I have to constantly tense up every time I drive and a police pulls up next to me? Is a dark skinned man driving a nice car suspicious? What if it's a nice neighborhood? What if I'm driving around my own nice neighborhood in my nice car? Do I really want to constantly look over my shoulder for the overzealous cop?

To those on the inside looking out, it appears a clear cut situation: legal or illegal. It's not so simple. I'm happy with my skin, my country and my heritage. My loyalties to the United States are unquestioned. I know no other homeland. I trace my family back six generations to this great land. All I ask is that my right to live free without question or fear in my own homeland be respected.

No comments: